Abstract Closing Date - 31st August 2016
The Human Genome Variation Society invites abstracts to the meeting in two themes;
- Non - Coding Variation
- General variation themes e.g. methods, applications, databases etc.
- Abstracts within the theme of "Non - Coding Variation" will be given preference for oral presentations.
Please follow the instructions for preparation below.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS
Note: It is recommended that you read and then PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS to act as a handy guide to submitting an abstract. Please take special note of the text formatting instructions & submission guidelines below.
TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
1. Authors of research papers who wish to have their abstracts considered for inclusion in the scientific programs must submit their abstract via EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org having regard to the closing dates in the Call for Abstracts and on the Abstract submission site. Abstracts submitted after the closing date of 15th August 2016 will not be considered.
2. The detailed formatting instructions below must be followed for the abstract to appear in the programme book.
3. The title should be brief and explicit.
4. Research papers should follow the format - Purpose, Methodology, Results, Conclusion.
5. Including title, authors (full given first name and family name) and institution, the abstract must not exceed 520 words. In MS Word, this count can be determined from the 'Tools menu'. Any references or acknowledgments must also be included in this allowance.
6. Oral Presentations will only have electronic PowerPoint support. Instructions will be available in the correspondence sent to all successful authors.
7. The acceptance, timing, presentation and discussion of all papers and posters is at the discretion of the Scientific Programme Committee. Notification of the timing of presentations will appear in correspondence sent to all successful authors.
8. Tables, diagrams, graphs, etc. CANNOT be accepted in the abstract submission. This is due to problems with publication of them.
9. Please format & submit your abstract according to the below instructions.
10. AUTHORS MUST BE FULLY REGSITERED FOR THE MEETING BY 31st March 2016 FOR THEIR ABSTRACT TO APPEAR IN THE PUBLICATIONS. We DO NOT publish absracts from anyone not fully registered or attending the meeting.
- Manuscripts should be submitted in Word docx, or doc
- Maximum of 520 words
- Use a simple font (e.g., 10-point Arial) for text
- Headings should be bold and 14 point and small case letters
- Authors in Italics. Please underline the presenting author.
- Please give full addresses of all authors (without titles i.e. Dr etc) after the heading and put in italics.
- Please indicate the name of the corresponding author by an asterisk*.
- The Email of the corresponding author should be included below the addresses.
- Use italics for emphasis
- Do not use field functions
- Please turn OFF your track changes
- DO NOT JUSTIFY the text
- Use tab stops or other commands for indents, not the space bar.
- Include a space when starting a new paragraph
- Save your file in docx format (Word 2007 or higher) or doc format (older Word versions).
- Please use no more than three levels of displayed headings.
- Abbreviations should be defined at first mention and used consistently thereafter.
- Acknowledgments of people, grants, funds, etc. should be placed in a separate section before the reference list. The names of funding organizations should be written in full.
- Please always use internationally accepted signs and symbols for units, SI units.
- URLs of all databases referenced should be included.
- Do not include diagrams and tables, we cannot print them
- Nomenclature for mutations must follow HGVS guidelines http://www.hgvs.org/mutnomen/
- Nomenclature for genes must follow HGNC guidelines http://www.genenames.org/
3 steps to sucessful abstract submission:
- Save your file with your surname followed by your first name initial, e.g. Antoni Gaudi's abstract would be saved as gaudiA. Please DO NOT name your abstract "hgvs abstract", "abstract" , "vancouver abstract" etc.
- EMAIL your abstract as a word file to Rania - email@example.com. Make sure to include a small cover letter such as "I wish to submit this abstract for the HGVS Vancouver meeting". Rania receives abstracts for many meetings so it is important you say which one. Emails received with no cover letter will be treated as viruses and not be opened.
- Expect a reply that the abstract was received within 3 days. If you do not receive a reply, please send it again. Please do not expect an immediate response, as a human being will answer not a computer auto mail.